Friday, October 8, 2010

Carmelized Onion, Fig, And Goat Cheese Spread

   This is a recipe that I have been wanting to try for a very long time.  The first time I made the fig and chipotle stuffed pork I was left with with quite a few left over dried figs.  As much as I like figs, there are only so many plain dried figs you can eat.  I started looking for different things to do with figs.  I'll admit, I didn't even read the original recipe for this, I just read the title.  It took me so long to make this because for awhile, I entertained the notion of making it into a quiche-like tart.  The spread is WAY easier.

   Earlier this week, my friends and I had nice fancy little Italian dinner.  I made this spread, although it is pretty much cuisine neutral and would be great for a Spanish, American, or Italian table.  It is great warm but it is still good once it cools down to room temperature. 

   Also, the pictures are going to be a treat today because my beautiful friend Heather happens to be an effing amazing photographer!  I snap a simple little photo with my crappy 4.1 megapixel dinosaur of a camera.  She took a lot of pictures and chose the best ones.  So while this may be the easiest recipe I've posted, the pictures are going to be the best!  Please visit her website to see some of her other work, including some crazy pictures of Yours Truly (and maybe even hire her for your next event!)

 
Carmelized Onion, Fig, and Goat Cheese Spread
1 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced or roughly chopped
1/2 C roughly chopped dried figs (6-8 whole)
1/4 C marsala wine (optional) 
3 oz cream cheese
4-5 oz goat cheese

   Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onions until golden brown and sweet.  This will take about 15 minutes.  Toss in figs and marsala.  Cook together about 1 minute.  Set aside.
   Cream the cheeses together.  Mix in onions and figs.  Spread into a small baking dish. 
   Bake at 350 deg F for 10-15 minutes.  Serve with bread or crackers. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I love the post and I hope I get to take pictures for your blog again....because if I'm there to take the pictures, I'm there to eat the food...:)
    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!