Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spinach and Hazelnut Pesto

If you couldn't guess by my sparse, yet recent posts... I am really digging spring cooking.  Like most vegetables, I eat spinach year round.  But even the bagged stuff just gets better this time of year.  Basil isn't quite in full swing yet, so when I was contemplating making my own pesto over (the good, but not great) jarred varieties, spinach seemed the cheaply logical choice of greenage.  Hazelnuts... well, we just had them.  If you can't find them, or they are just wildly expensive, I suggest walnuts as the alternative.


Spinach and Hazelnut Pesto
2 C chopped spinach
~ 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp toasted, chopped hazelnuts
3 lrg cloves roasted garlic
1 Tbsp fresh basil (1 tsp dried)
zest of 1/2 a lemon
juice of 1 lrg lemon (~2 Tbsp)
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

   Combine ingredients.  Puree using a food processor, high powered blender, or immersion blender.  Adjust seasonings as necessary.  The consistency should be an easily spreadable, loose paste; adjust amount of oil/lemon juice as needed.
   Makes about 1 C pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!