Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Egg Curry with Artichokes and Zucchini

   I almost posted my summer berry clafouti recipe but another food blogger has chosen cherry clafouti as her post for the day.  So out of respect, I guess I need to hold off on that one for a bit.  No problem, I remembered my promise from yesterday and I must stick to that.

   Oh, and this curry is fabulous so I really want to share it with you!  It sounds really strange and not entirely Indian, but it is uncommonly good.  It is kind of more on the Moroccan side because of the vegetables I used, but it doesn't really have enough of the "sweet" spices to be considered totally Moroccan.  Maybe very Northern Indian?  Northwestern Indian?  Half Indian, half Moroccan?  Whatever.  I'm not going to try to figure it out;  I am just going to tell you to make it.  Please don't be turned off by the long ingredient list;  it is super easy to make!
Egg Curry with Artichokes and Zucchini
8 hard boiled eggs, halved and lightly salted
1 lb zucchini, cut into bite sized chunks
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp cracked fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes (~2 C)
2 bay leaves
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick (2-3 inches)
oil
salt and pepper
(you made need about 1 tsp sugar)

   Saute onions in a little bit of oil over medium heat until they just start to turn brown at the edges.  Add a little bit more oil and garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cumin, and red pepper flake.  Saute for about 2 minutes until fragrant.  Add tomato paste, melt into pan (1-2 min). 
   Add crushed tomatoes, zucchini, chili powder, cardamon, coriander, bay leaves, cinnamon, and star anise.  Cover, turn to med-low, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
   Salt and pepper to taste.  If tomatoes taste too tinny or acidic, add a little bit of sugar.  Add a touch of water if tomatoes seem really thick, about 1/4 C.
   Nestle eggs and artichokes into sauce.  Cover and heat through, 5-7 minutes.
   Serve with rice.
   Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!