Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Chicken Shawarma w/ Zahtar Flatbread & Tahini Sauce

So, The Avengers comes out on DVD today.  I know many of my friends will be picking it up after work (if they have not already done so) and indulging in a movie night.  In honor of this, I figure I would do a shawarma recipe.  (Also, the hubs has been wanting me to make Middle Eastern food like two weeks now.) This is a variation on a spice blend recipe my husband found on some unknown website.  I was surprised that I had everything to make a good Middle Eastern spice blend; it just goes to show what a well stocked spice cabinet can do!

Chicken Shawarma
~1 lb chicken breast (2 breasts), very thinly sliced or cubed
1 med onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1 1/2 tsp cardamom
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion poweder
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp ground clove
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice

   Combine all spices.  Add oil and lemon juice to create a paste.  Marinate chicken in spice blend for 30 min at room temp, or up to overnight in the fridge.
   Heat a little oil in a large skillet over med heat.  Saute onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften.  Add chicken and all the extra spice blend.  Cook until chicken is done, about 7-8 minutes.
   Serves 2.

Tahini Sauce
3/4 C plain Greek yogurt
1/4 C tahini
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 med garlic clove, pasted
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
salt

   Combine all ingredients.
   Makes ~1 C sauce.
   Serves ~6.

Flat Bread w/ Zahtar
store bought flat bread (I used Kangaroo)
~1 tsp ghee for each flat bread
~1/2 tsp zahtar spice blend per flat bread

   Brush ghee on flat bread.  Sprinkle with spice blend.  Bake at 375 deg F for 5-7 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!