Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Roasted Chick Pea and Artichoke Salad

Roasted chick peas have become one of our favorite things.  Slow roasting them makes them a little crunchy and they become the perfect satisfying snack or side.  In what may have been a mini stroke of genius, I threw them on a top of a salad.  Such a great alternative to croutons!  I made these to go with our chicken shawarma, so they have a Middle Eastern/North African twist with ras el hanout.  I used Al'fez, which you can find at World Market.  It is earthy, smokey, a little spicy, with just a touch of sweetness.

Ras el Hanout Roasted Chick Peas
2 cans organic (or no salt added) chick peas, drained and rinsed
1-1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp ras el hanout*
1/2 tsp sweet paprika (use a high quality Hungarian paprika if you want flavor and not just color)

   Toss chick peas with oil and spices.  Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet.
   375 deg F for 25-30 minutes, until they reach the desired texture.
   Serves 4.  6-8 if you are putting them on a salad.
*The blend I used had enough salt for the dish, but if your blend does not have much, adjust salt to taste.

Roasted Chick Pea and Artichoke Salad
(per salad)
2 C mixed greens (I used spinach and green leaf lettuce)
~1/3 C roasted chick peas
~1/3 C sliced marinated artichokes
a sprinkle of crumbled feta
tangy dressing (like Greek, a lemon vinaigrette, or my obvious old stand by.)
*Kalamata olives were supposed to go on the salad, but I didn't realize I was out of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!