Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sweet Potato & Goat Cheese Grits

I first ran across the idea of sweet potato grits over at one of my all time favorite blogs, The Chubby Vegetarian.  Several weeks ago, for Louis's birthday I made a version of them for breakfast.  I cannot even begin to describe to you how much my husband loves sweet potatoes.  Goat cheese is another of his favorite things, so I threw that in there too. In my opinion, the key to good grits is more water and cooking them longer than the directions on the package say.

Sweet Potato Grits & Goat Cheese Grits
1 1/2 C water
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C quick cooking grits
1 C mashed sweet potatoes*
~2 oz garlic and herb goat cheese

   Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil.  Add grits.  Cover, turn heat to med-low, and cook for 5-6 minutes**.
   Uncover and stir.  Continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes, stir frequently.  (If they start to get too stiff, add 1 Tbsp water at a time.)
   Add sweet potatoes and goat cheese.  Keep stirring and cook another 3-4 minutes.  When the goat cheese is fully incorporated, they should be done.
   Serves 4.

*Boil or bake one smallish sweet potato until it is very tender.  Mash it up (no skin) with a little bit of salt and  pepper.
**More often than not, I have issues with my grits boiling over.  To prevent this, use one pot size larger than you think you need.  Ex: For this amount of grits, I use the 2 qt instead of the 1 qt pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!