Monday, July 4, 2011

Spicy Sweet Potato (Potato) Salad

   This past week has been pretty hellish for me:  sunburn, hurting my back, emotional trauma, and bizarre draught-torrential downpour-wildfire weather wreaking havoc on my allergies.  I haven't really felt like doing anything at all.  My past few days have literally been spent watching the hubs play Oblivion and laying on ice packs.  I know, I lead an exciting life. 

   Today I will make it out of the house so I can 1) procure more medicine 2) watch fireworks over the water.  I sort of wish there was some big BBQ happening... but honestly, with the way I feel right now, I'm not disappointed that the bulk of my day will be spent, yet again, lazing around.  However, I hope you are do something terribly exciting.  Like a backyard cookout or pool-side BBQ.  And I have a great, unique recipe if you haven't figured out what you are taking yet.  Potato salad generally graces (or disgraces) every summer picnic table.  But let's face it, it can be boring, bland, gloppy, and gross.  This sweet potato potato salad is just thing to spice up your next summer get together.
Spicy Sweet Potato (Potato) Salad
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 C light sour cream
1 Tbsp milk
5-6 large cloves of roasted garlic, mashed*
2-3 chipotles, minced (1-1 1/2 Tbsp)
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tsp cumin
salt, pepper, oil

   Very lightly drizzle sweet potatoes with oil.  Salt and pepper.  Roast at 400 deg F for 25-30 minutes, until tender.  Allow to cool.
   Combine sour cream, milk, garlic, chipotles, cilantro, and cumin.
   Toss potatoes and dressing.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
   Serves 8.

*Don't have roasted garlic on hand?  Just take however many cloves you want to do (still in their paper,) place on foil, liberally drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and seal up foil packet.  Toss packet in the oven with the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!