Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake w/ Fresh Peaches

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors.  And I know I do quite a few cakes with buttermilk... but it is sooo good!  Can you blame me?  I was going to make a complex blueberry peach compote to go over this cake.  Then I was like, peaches are in season... I don't need to mess them up.  Make sure all the peach juice goes over the cake, you don't want to waste any of that goodness.  (Bonus:  You can feel a little bit healthy eating this dessert because of the fresh fruit.)

Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake w/ Fresh Peaches
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 C white sugar
4 eggs
1 Tbsp lemon zest (~2 lemons)
1 Tbsp lemon juice (1 lrg lemon)
1 tsp vanilla
3 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C buttermilk
fresh peaches, peeled and sliced

   Cream butter and sugar together.  Incorporate eggs one at a time.  Add lemon zest, juice, and vanilla.
   Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
   Alternate adding flour and buttermilk to butter and sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.  (flour, buttermilk, flour, buttermilk, flour)
   Divide evenly into two greased 8x5 loaf pans.
   Bake at 350 deg F for 45 min-1 hour, until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
   Allow to cool.
   Slice and serve with fresh peaches.
   Makes 2 loaves, each will serve about 6-8 people.  (Pound cake freezes great, just so you know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!