Thursday, August 16, 2012

Herbs de Provence & Wine Pickles

The season is winding down for cucumbers.  That means the next few weekends I'll be in a mad scramble to buy ALL the cucumbers!

My first pickling session, I used a lot more of my staple ingredients than expected.  I had to come up with some creative flavorings to I could just get all the cucumbers pickled.  A jar of Spice Islands herbs de Provence was lurking behind vanilla and hot paprika in my spice cabinet, and I thought, "Why not?"  They turned out to be some of my favorites!  They are really mild with a unique twist from the lavender.
Yes, I write my labels with crayon.
Herbs de Provence & White Wine Pickles
2 sterilized pint jars filled with Kirby cucumbers sliced 1/4 in thick (~3 lrg cucumbers)
2-3 cloves crushed garlic in each jar
1 heaping tsp herbs de Provence in each jar
3/4 C dry white wine
1/4 C each of white vinegar, cider vinegar, and tarragon vinegar
1/2 C water
2 Tbsp kosher salt
1.5 Tbsp sugar

Assemble jars.
Combine wine, vinegars, water, salt, and sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Divide liquid evenly between jars.  Seal jars as quickly as possible, while the liquid is still very hot.  The "button" will pop down as they cool.  Gently press it down if it doesn't pop on its own, it should stay down.
Makes 2 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!