Thursday, January 16, 2014

Beet Hummus w/ Ras El Hanout

Last weekend, I saw Jeff Mauro make mint and beet hummus on The Sandwich King.  At first it seemed odd, then it seemed like a really good idea!  I have a huge jar of beets from my aunt's garden, and I am always on the lookout for different ways to use them.  Well, the grocery store was out of mint, which forced me to redirect 3 of my planned recipes.  While staring at my overly crowded spice/condiment cabinet, I realized I had ras el hanout.  The earthy blend sounded like the perfect compliment to beets.  I was right, beets and ras el hanout are an utterly dreamy pairing!

Beet Hummus w/ Ras el Hanout
1 14oz can drained and rinsed chick peas
1/2 14oz can drained and rinsed white beans (optional, I added them for extra creaminess)
1 C roughly chopped roasted (and peeled) beets (~2 med beets)
1/3 C extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp ras el hanout
zest of 1/2 a large lemon
juice of 1 large lemon (~2 Tbsp)
1 large clove garlic
salt to taste

   Blend everything together:  food processor, good blender, immersion blender.  Salt to taste, the amount will you need to add with vary depending on your spice blend.  I need about 1/4 tsp.  (Add extra olive oil if you prefer a thinner hummus.)
   Makes about 3 C.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!