Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spicy Thai Winter Squash Soup

I'm going start by saying I'm extremely self conscious about calling anything "Thai".  (Bruce, I know this isn't authentic in any way what so ever, but it is delicious!)

Since I now have several good friends that are vegan, I think about the dishes I make that are animal-free a lot more frequently.  It is more often than not completely unintentional.  When I realize something is vegan, I get this strange elated feeling.  It's hard to describe, but basically my brain screams, "EVERYONE CAN EAT THIS!"  And yeah, this is even *shudder* grain free.  I'm not a fan of that fad, but whatever.  So unless you are on some absolutely crazy diet, you can eat this.

The ingredients may seem a bit odd, but I had to use what was in the house.  The decision to put an Asian spin on my go-to squash soup was spur of the moment.  (You can expect another variation in a few months.)  This soup is really thick, creamy (but naturally creamy), and hearty.  A bowl of this, maybe a hunk of bread or a salad is all you need.  And there is no need to feel guilty about serving up seconds.

Spicy Thai Winter Squash Soup
1 med acorn squash, quartered and guts removed
2 med sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
1 tsp coconut oil (or any kind of oil)
1/2 C diced onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced or grated ginger
2 Tbsp coconut vinegar (sub w/ white wine vinegar)
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut Thai blend*
1 T red curry paste
2 tsp sriracha (more or less to taste)
4-6 C low sodium vegetable broth (it will depend on the actual size of squash/sweet potatoes and how thick you want the soup to be)

   Salt and pepper squash and sweet potatoes (you can brush them with oil if you would like).  Roast at 350 deg F for 45-60 min, until very soft.  When cool enough to handle, remove skin from squash.  Roughly chop the squash and sweet potatoes so they are easier to blend.
   Heat coconut oil over medium heat.  Saute onion until translucent, about 5 min.  Add garlic and ginger.  Cook 1 min.  Deglaze with vinegar.
   Add squash, potatoes, seasoning blend, curry paste, sriracha, and 4 C veg broth.  Use and immersion blender to puree (or carefully puree in batches in a blender.)  Add more broth as necessary.
   Salt and pepper to taste.  Heat, serve.
   Serves 6.

*My blend packet does not mention anything about milk products, but the website does.  If you are vegan, I suggest contacting Spice and Tea Exchange customer service before purchasing.
Notes:  You can use any winter squash.  Though, I suggest staying away from spaghetti squash for this one. OR use 3 more med sweet potatoes instead of a squash.  I don't actually use vegetable broth.  I use water then add vegetable base or bouillon because it is much cheaper and I can regulate the sodium and flavor strength better.  Use any combination of broth/bouillon/water you like.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for an idea and a direction I'll be substituting leftover roasted veggies since i seem to consistently cook too many. (Unless the middle grand-girl comes over. Then I have cook more.)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!