Monday, January 6, 2014

Super Simple Coconut Pie

I hope everyone's holidays were lovely!  Mine were.  It was pretty hectic, yet relaxing.  I felt like we were all over the place but none of it was stressful.  The Saturday before Christmas we threw a Ludachristmas party (I'm a big of 30 Rock.)  We had an incredible spread of food:  beer cheese & mac, salted caramel dark chocolate cookies, bourbon pecan cookies, buffalo chicken dip, candied kielbasa (so damn delicious), collard green gratin, and coconut pie.  There was probably some other stuff too, but I don't remember.  And there weren't any left overs to remind me the next day.

The hubs had been wanting a coconut pie for awhile.  I feel no shame in saying that I basically followed Betty Crocker's "Impossibly Easy Coconut Pie" recipe.  It is crust free, you just combine everything in a bowl, dump and bake.  I had to modify it a bit, using what I had on hand.  It ended up a little healthier, but still seriously delicious because I bumped up the coconut flavor.  And it used my favorite shortcut cooking ingredient--pancake mix.  Follow my recipe or the original, if you like coconut pie, you will not be disappointed.
Super Simple Coconut Pie
1 1/4 C shredded coconut*
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C Bisquick Heart Smart Mix
1/4 C coconut oil
2 C unsweetened coconut almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cardamon
4 eggs

   Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.  Pour mixture into a greased deep dish 9-inch pie plate (or an 8x8 square pan would work for bars.)
   Bake at 350 deg F for 45-50 minutes.
   Serves 8

*I used unsweetened coconut because I prefer things less sweet.  If you like sweeter desserts, use sweetened coconut.  You may need to bake it for ~5 minutes longer if you use sweetened coconut because it is has more moisture than unsweetened.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!