Thursday, January 6, 2011

Huevos... Texarkana?

   I love huevos rancheros because my husband loves them.  It wasn't something I had growing up... we just didn't do it.  However, Louis adores them so I would make them for breakfast on the weekend every few months or for a quick dinner.  Ok, that's a lie.  They way I normally make them isn't fast.  I render down some sort of meat and then slow cook an amazing salsa.  But I digress.

   These aren't really huevos rancheros.  I woke up about an hour and a half ago, wandered around the house, and the decided I wanted an egg.  Then I started rummaging through the refrigerator and found a pot of black beans.  I call these eggs Huevos Texarkana because they are a little bit of Texas tex-mex and a little bit of good ol' southern Arkansas.  Also, I've been to Texarkana more times than I care to tell you and I have a feeling these would go over very well there.  The great thing about this is you can make 1 or 10 in about the same amount of time (~15 min)!
Huevos Texarkana
4 eggs
4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted (I used this bread)
1/2 C fresh salsa (any heat level)
1/4 C cooked black eyed peas (or frozen and thawed)
1 tsp chipotle puree
1/4 C grated cheese
1/4 C sliced black olives
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 lime wedges

   In a small sauce pan combine salsa, peas, and chipotle.  Heat over medium-high and let all the liquid cook out.  Turn down to med-low and let the tomatoes start to break down and everything get thick.
   Heat oil in a large (nonstick) skillet over medium heat.  Gently crack eggs into hot oil.  Fry until the yolk is at your preferred consistency.  (I like over medium.  About 2 minutes on each side.)  When eggs are flipped, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
   Place egg on toast, top with salsa, cheese and olives.  Serve with a lime wedge.
   4 servings.

Total Ingredient Cost:  Around $2.
Per Serving:  Calories 175, Fat 9g, Total Carb 11 g, Fiber 3g, Protein 11g
Daily Values:  Vit A 8%, Vit C 3%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%
Serve with fruit to boost vitamins and start (or end) your day on a high note!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!