Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage

   For some reason, yesterday afternoon I just crashed.  I don't know why.  I didn't want to do anything except curl up and sleep while dreams of Eureka danced through my head.  (Love me some correctly discussed theoretical physics!)  Anyway, I slept on and off after a very busy morning/early afternoon from 3-6 ish.  The only time cooking is a chore for me is when I have slept away the afternoon.  Last night I was not up to the task, so my mom made red beans and rice.  Then it occurred to me that this dish is so simple I could have mindlessly thrown it together even in a post sleep stupor!  And her recipe is a little less complex than mine so this is a great meal for a busy weeknight or days you just don't feel like attempting anything complicated.  You can use any sausage you like with this, but in my opinion a smoked variety gives the best flavor.  (Vegans, I know I have seen some smokey, herby tofu sausages out there!)  The only real stipulation with this is I encourage you to use organic canned dark red kidney beans because they are much lower in sodium and don't have any of that dreadful sugar added.  (Why do companies feel the need to ruin perfectly beautiful kidney beans with sugar?)
Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Sausage
1 C rice (plus 1 3/4 C water for cooking), I suggest looking for parboiled rice
1 tsp oil
1 small green bell pepper (1 C chopped)
1 small onion (1 C chopped)
2 large ribs celery (1/2 C chopped)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 7-oz link smoked turkey sausage
2 14-oz cans organic dark red kidney beans
1/4 C water
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp lemon juice (or mild vinegar)
Tabasco
2 green onions, chopped (optional)

   Cook rice according to package directions.
   Heat oil in a non stick pot over medium heat, saute pepper, onion, and celery until tender.  Add sausage, brown slightly.  Add garlic, saute for about 1 minute.  Add beans (with liquid), 1/4 C water, and worcestershire.  Allow liquid to reduce by about 1/2 (it will take roughly 15 minutes.)  Stir in lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco.  Serve over rice, garnish with green onions.  Add more Tabasco if you like.  (I like!)
   Serves 4.
Total Ingredient Cost$6.25
Per Serving:  Calories 430, Fat 6.5g, Total Carb 81g, Fiber 12.25g, Protein 24g
Daily ValuesVit A 4%, Vit C 57%, Vit K 8%, Vit B6 8.25%, Calcium 16%, Iron 17%, Thiamine 25%, Folate 25%, Niacin 15%

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!