Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Garlic Roasted Pork Shoulder

   This is a really simple recipe that can be transformed into countless other recipes.  Pozole or other soups, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, tacos, nacho or salad topper... I roasted my shoulder for use in tamales!  About a month ago, my mom had her book club meetings at our house.  For one, I made a Mexican meal.  We really wanted to make tamales.  It was the first time I had ever even attempted such a thing.  They turned out well, but it was an interesting experience to say the least.  They do need some tweaking to be perfect, but these were pretty damn tasty.  Once this season of the Tennessee Renassaince Festival is over, I will have time for a lot more in depth cooking.  However, I know many of you will like this, most of the upcoming recipes will be really fast and/or incredibly easy dishes!  (The ones that aren't fast are probably stock piled from last month.)
Garlic Roasted Pork Shoulder
1 5-lb pork shoulder
8 garlic cloves (large-ish)
salt
pepper

   Trim excess fat off top of shoulder.  There should be a thin layer (about 1/4 inch) of fat, but most cuts will have about 3/4 inch fat cap. Cut garlic cloves into chunky slices (long ways, tip to root).  Make 1 1/2 inch deep incisions all around the pork (top, sides and bottom).  Stick garlic slices into incisions.  Liberally salt and pepper.
   Place on a roasting rack in a pan (lined with foil to make clean up easier.)
   325 deg F for 3-3 1/2 hours.  Until pork is tender and pulls apart easily.

Tomorrow... tamale recipe! 

1 comment:

  1. I love roast pork, and garlic, this looks and sounds like my dream supper.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!