Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Smoked Rambol

   A few days ago, while vainly searching for smoked mozzarella at my local Publix, I came across this unassuming little cheese.
Smoked Rambol.  I had never heard of it, but there it was.  Nestled between the gouda and brie.  I could tell it was softer than smoked gouda so I bought it.  Wow!  It is incredibly delicious.  Creamy and mild with the perfect amount of natural smoke.  To give you a flavor reference it is like smoked mozzarella had a baby with brie.  Essentially, it is the French answer to smoked cheeses.

   Krista had requested the cheese stuffed meatballs for her house warming.  I was all too happy to make them.  Especially after I found this cheese.  Personally, I think this is the best option for this recipe after trying it.  Gouda is good, don't get me wrong.  Also a little cheaper and probably easier to find.  However, if you can find smoked rambol, definitely give it a try in the meatballs.
Cheese Stuffed Meatballs in Sundried Tomato Viniagrette

  Rambol would probably bake just as beautifully as brie.  I will be sure to try that out for you guys.  But until that happens, here is another great use for it!  Grilled sandwiches and paninis.  I just ate one for lunch, and oh my god.  It may be my new favorite sandwich.

"Italy Meet France" Grilled Sandwich 
(Amounts needed will vary on personal taste and number of sandwiches being made.)
1/2 inch slices of Italian bread
cooked hot Italian turkey sausage
thin slices of smoked rambol
fresh basil
baby spinach
stone ground mustard
light mayo
butter (optional)

   Spread one slice of bread with mayo, the other with mustard.  Add basil, sausage, and cheese.  Spread butter on outside of sandwich if grilling it.  (Don't use butter if making a panini.)  Grill on each side until bread is toasty and cheese is melted.  Open sandwich and add spinach.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE smoked rambol cheese!!! You should try the cheese called camembrie...it's a mix between brie and camembert. Soo delicious and realllly good with the right red wine.

    -RB
    justaddwaterlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!