Wednesday, May 11, 2011

2 recipes for 200 posts!

   So guess what?  Yesterday was my 200th post.  It seems appropriate that as I venture further into the world of blogging that I take up a new form of cooking and expand my presence in the internet food world.  Some friends are working on an incredible project that they have asked me to join.  I am honored and thrilled and just a little bit intimidated.  Currently I am working on perfecting a flagship post.  But I am getting ahead of myself, I'll let you know more about it as it happens.

   Alright, as you know the hubs and I spent this past weekend smoking a huge variety of foods.  The first two recipes are really easy.  Barely even recipes.  Though, I think you want to start with easy things when smoking.  Salmon and corn are two very forgiving foods when it comes to smoking so I think they are the perfect items to start with.

Spicy Applewood Smoked Salmon
2/3 lb fresh salmon fillet, skin on, about 1 inch thick
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Applewood chunks

   Pat salmon dry.  Sprinkle on spices.
   Spray rack with cooking oil.  Smoke for 45 min- 1 hour.  (In "ideal" range for Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill; about 225 deg F.)
   Remove skin for service.  Serve with cream cheese and bread, or use it in another recipe.
   Serves 4 (appetizer portions) or 2 (entree portions)

Smoked Corn on the Cob
Ears of corn (for however many people you plan to feed)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt
Fresh cracked black pepper

   Gently peel back husks of corn, remove the first few outer leaves, but leave most intact.  Remove silks.  Brush corn with oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Make sure to get every surface of the corn seasoned.  Fold husks back up over the corn.
   For 7-8 inch ears of corn, smoke 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours.  (Smaller ears: 50 min-1 hr; extra large ears 1 1/2-1 3/4 hr.)  Use any wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!