Friday, May 20, 2011

South Pacific Smoked Scallops

   I seriously did not intend to leave for a week.  Last Friday we took the computer, my ancient MP3 player, and my iPod to Best Buy in hopes that the Geek Squad could transfer the protected files from the MP3 player to the iPod.  No such luck.  I would just re-load all the CDs except that some punkass little teenager stole over 100 CDs out of my car almost 5 years ago.  Looks like I am going to have to (illegally--shh, you didn't read that) download everything.  I legitimately paid for it all once, I have the right to do it!

   My computer would have been really helpful this past week too.  Louis had duty Wednesday which meant he was working for 30+ straight hours.  Normally it wouldn't be a big deal.  However, the realization that I was totally alone without shit to do hit me hard.  I had no projects.  No one to cook for.  This boredom was magnified by the fact that this is the first time I have lived without a pet.  Not even a goddamn fish!  No projects, no work, no other living creature except the couple of invading fruit flies....  I laid around watching Ghost Hunters for like 12 hours!  Basically what I mean by this is that I seriously miss my cat.  Right now, I might trade Louis for him.  No, um, just kidding.........?

   Alright, this weekend looks like it is going to be really nice.  Perfect for grilling.  This marinade is fabulous on scallops and shrimp.  It would also be great on chicken, pork tenderloin, salmon, vegetables.... almost anything really.  And you do not have to smoke the scallops.  You can grill them or broil them on high heat for a couple minutes per side and they would be just as delicious.  Obviously, the smoke flavor will be missing but it will still be crazy tasty!
South Pacific Smoked Scallops 2 lbs diver scallops (abductor muscle removed)
1/3 C low sodium soy sauce
1/4 C pineapple juice
1/4 C cider vinegar
2 Tbsp brown deli mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

   Combine all ingredients.  Refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
   Set up smoker according to manufacturer's suggestion with charcoal and wood chunks.  (We used applewood, but hickory would also work.)
   Skewer scallops on soaked bamboo skewers for easier transfer.  Leave about 1/2 inch between scallops.  Smoke for 20-25 minutes.
   While scallops are cooking, place extra marinade in a pot.  Bring to boil over med-high heat, reduce by about 1/3 to create sauce.
   Serves 4-6.

(PS--After a week away, it literally took me 1.5 hours to decide which recipe to blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!