Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Dry, Red Sangria

   Pretty much everyone knows what sangria is nowadays.  If you don't, it is basically a wine and fruit punch.  Simple, easy, delicious.  It is a great cocktail for a crowd because it is cheap and the ultimate make-ahead drink.  There is no need to buy a nice wine for sangria.  A $5 or $6 bottle is perfect (I suggest Barefoot or Yellowtail).  Or if someone brings you a bottle of red as a hostess gift and you aren't crazy about what they chose... make it into sangria!  Even those of my friends who don't like wine like sangria.  The sweetness of the fruit takes the sharp edge off the wine that tends to turn people off.  If you have a pretty, clear pitcher, break it out!  It is an instant gorgeous centerpiece to a casual table.  (I, unfortunately, do not own such a vessel.)

   Often, sugar is added to sangria.  I prefer a drier wine cocktail, so that what I wanted to do for my first recipe.  I like my sangria to taste like wine and fruit.  If you would like it sweeter, add 1/4 C super fine sugar, honey, or agave syrup.  Whisk it into a small amount of the liquid (the rum or a little bit of wine) to easily incorporate.  There are sooo many different recipes out there and infinite possibilities with sangria.  This is one, simple recipe that has a little twist with the dark rum.  I will probably definitely have several more variations this spring/summer.
Don't you love the orange pitcher?  I'm pretty sure it is older than I am.

Dry, Red Sangria
1 bottle medium-bodied red wine (Merlot, Shiraz, or a Cab-blend)
1/2 C dark rum
2 C orange juice
1 medium orange
1 large lemon
1 large lime
1 1/2 C grapes

   Place grapes in freezer for at least 1 day.  These will be used as ice cubes.
   Thinly slice citrus fruit.  Place in the bottom of the pitcher and lightly mash with a wooden spoon.  Add wine, rum and juice.  Stir.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, 24 hours is better.  Add frozen grapes to each glass or to pitcher at service.
   6-8 servings.
If you are patient enough to let the grapes freeze all the way, they will float.

1 comment:

  1. MMM I love sangria, I'm going to have to try this recipe with the roomy's leftover boxed wine (gag) which will hopefully make it drinkable!

    -RB
    justaddwaterlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!