Thursday, June 9, 2011

Anchovy and Artichoke Pizza

   I can't say this pizza is for everyone; anchovies seem to be rather controversial as an ingredient.  I had most of a tin left over from the puttanesca so I had to figure out something to do with them.  Laugh if you want, but I thought of Futurama and Fry's love of anchovies when thinking of meal options.  Pizza just seemed obvious.  The artichokes came about because I wanted something familiar but special with a more subtle flavor than the tiny, briny fish.
   Louis and I were surprised at how much flavor the anchovies added to the whole pizza, even though I only put a few on it.  Each bite had a slight seawater hint to it that was absolutely lovely!  The little fish are intensely salty, and I have since learned that you should probably rinse them off before an application such as this.  That is up to you, but I suggest rinsing them so you can add a few more to the pizza and not blow your taste buds out with the nutty saltiness of the anchovies.
Anchovy and Artichoke Pizza
Rosemary Whole Wheat Dough (1/2 recipe, instead of all the herbs in this recipe just use 1 1/2 tsp rosemary)
1 large tomato, thinly sliced and pulp removed
1/2 C shredded mozzarella
1 C shredded fontina
6 artichoke hearts, quartered (~1 14oz can)
8-10 anchovies
cornmeal

   Sprinkle a 13x9 baking sheet with cornmeal.  Stretch dough to fit pan.  Pre-bake for 7-8 minutes at 450 deg F, until bottom is very lightly browned.
   Lay tomatoes onto crust.  Sprinkle cheese over pizza.  Top with artichokes and anchovies.
   Bake at 450 deg F for 10-12 minutes.
   Serves 4.
He LOVES pizza! 

1 comment:

  1. I have such a weakness for anchovies....

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!