Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mushy Peas

Wow, I seriously can't believe how much of my time is being eaten away with this job.  That's cool, because I am going get some awesome arms out of this with all the lifting.  Not that I have flabby gross arms right now, but they will be looking pretty awesome by the new year.
Have I mentioned that I am making the food for my father-in-law's church Christmas dinner?  Well, I am.  So I've had to test new recipes.  He requested it be English/Dickensian in nature.  That is a new realm for me.  I know mushy peas aren't really Dickensian, but I wanted something bright and vibrant for the table that wasn't just a salad.  I know this sounds like bad baby food, but seriously, so delicious.  I think the key is leaving some of the peas whole so you get little bursts of sweet goodness.

Mushy Peas
1/2 med onion, diced
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
12 oz frozen green peas, thawed*
1/4 C vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
1/4 tsp rubbed sage
salt and pepper

   Heat oil over med heat.  Saute onions until soft and translucent.  Add garlic and cook ~1 minute.  Remove from heat, add peas, broth, and sage.  Use a potato masher to mash peas about 2/3 of the way.  You still want some that are whole.  Salt and pepper to taste.
   Heat over medium before serving.
   Serves 3-4.

*If you find a package of peas that is 1 lb (16 oz), it will definitely serve 4 people.  You may need to up the broth to 1/3 C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!