Friday, November 11, 2011

Pineapple Soy Chicken Skewers

Today I begin my adventure to become a butcher.  A real butcher.  Of animals for consumption.  Seriously.  Yeah, yeah, yeah... I have to, like, stock deli meat for a while.  But whatevs.  I'll do it.  Kroger may not be the ideal work, but it's a start, and maybe I'll get a discount on groceries?  That would be awesome.  My education, my degree, my once-high hopes of curing cancer (just kidding, I never wanted to do that)--I have officially abandoned all that science jazz.  So.... yay!

If you want to celebrate this hard and fast change of career choice on your own personal time, I suggest a mid-fall luau.  And I suggest you serve this chicken.  You could make this the main dish for a Hawaiian or Polynesian inspired meal or serve it as a party food. 

Pineapple Soy Chicken Skewers
2 lbs chicken cut into large pieces
1 20oz can pineapple chunks in juice (you can use fresh if it is season)
1/8 C soy sauce
1/8 C white vinegar
1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
2 tsp sesame oil
salt and pepper
(skewers)

   Combine pineapple juice from the can (~3/4 C) with soy, vinegar, and oils.
   Lightly salt and pepper chicken.  Toss in marinade.  Marinate for 1-8 hours.
   Skewer chicken with pineapple chunks. (If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before skewering and cooking chicken.)
   Set broiler to high and place rack about 7 inches from top.  Place skewers on a broiler pan or baking sheet.  Cook for 3 minutes, turn skewers over, cook another 3 minutes.  (Or you can grill them.)
   Reduce marinade by 1/3 over med-high.  Pour over cooked chicken.
   Serves 4-6 main dish.  8-10 as an hors d'oeurves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!