Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Current Must-Have Kitchen Staples

I find myself constantly going back time and time again to the same ingredients.  I thought I would give you my current ingredient crushes.

5.  Buttermilk-- Browsing through my recipes you may realize that I use this dairy a lot... to an unhealthy point almost.  It is rich, creamy, tangy, and low fat.  Yes, most buttermilk is made from low fat milk.  Just make sure you are buying real buttermilk (especially for baking) and not the stuff that is thickened with starches and has added stabilizers.

4.  Chipotles-- This is crush that has been going on for years.  So I guess it is love?  I can't get enough of the spicy smokiness.  I add them to soups, mac and cheese, marinades, sauces... I don't think there is much I haven't added chipotles to.

3.  Zucchini-- I am a year-round fan of zucchini but they are reaching their summer prime right about now.  You can get small baskets for about $2 at farmer's markets this time of the year.  Simple grilled zucchini is one of my all time favorite summer side-dishes

2.  Coconut Manna-- I've only had it on a spoon and bites of it in the hub's oatmeal, but this pure coconut product is amazing and the ideas are churning in my head.  More on this to come in the next couple weeks....

1.  Kale-- Yeah, I know this is kinda of a crunchy-hippie veg.  It is abso-freakin-lutely delicious!  I have recently become hopelessly obsessed with this cheap green.  Be prepared for lots of kale recipes this summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!