Monday, December 17, 2012

Creamy Baked Spinach w/ Tomatoes

I love creamed spinach, and this little idea popped into my head a few days ago.  It was pretty awesome idea, if I do say so myself.  It is great side that is simple yet unexpected.  But a brunch spread would also benefit from the veggie dish.  I made it it for our hobbit meal last Thursday.

Creamy Baked Spinach w/ Tomatoes
16 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
3 oz room temp cream cheese
3 Tbsp cream (or 1/2&1/2 or milk...)
3 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
~1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 med tomato, sliced into 1/4-1/3 inch slices (pulp gently squeezed out if it is really wet)
1/3 C bread crumb mixture*
oil or melted butter

   Combine cheese, cream, salt, pepper, and garlic.  Mix in spinach.
   Spread into a lightly greased 9 inch pie plate (or other cooking vessel).  Arrange tomato slices over the top.  Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top.  Drizzle a little bit of oil or melted butter over breadcrumbs so they get golden brown.
   Bake at 375 deg F for 12-15 min.  Broil on HI until breadcrumbs are golden.
   Serves 4.

*Breadcrumb mixture:  1/2 seasoned breadcrumbs (I used a roasted garlic variety) and 1/2 grated parmesan (the kind from the can).  I made a huge batch of this stuff a year ago.  I keep it in my freezer to use for all sorts of stuff and it is still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!