Friday, December 7, 2012

Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ Goat Cheese & Balsamic Reduction

My entire life, I heard that brussel sprouts and spinach were the two most dreaded foods of children everywhere.  I could consume my body weight in broccoli as a child, so green things were not scary for me.  Early on, I learned that spinach, when handled properly, is absolutely delicious.

Now brussel sprouts.  To be honest, I never had them until fairly recently.  My mom dreaded the frozen tiny balls as a kid, so she never even attempted to feed them to us.  Maybe frozen, they are disgusting.  But I haven't had frozen, only fresh.  If these little cabbage beauties had been placed in front of me as a kid, I would have devoured them and asked for more.  They are mild and slightly sweet, with just the faintest hint of a cabbage funk.

I think I am going to make this stupidly easy side for Christmas and convert the rest of my family in sprout lovers.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/ Goat Cheese & Balsamic Reduction
1 lb fresh brussel sprouts
~3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
~3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
~1/2 C balsamic vinegar

   Wash sprouts if needed and remove any discolored outer leaves.  Trim the very tip of the root end and cut in half.
   Toss with oil, salt, and pepper.
   Roast at 375 deg F for 20 minutes.
   Bring vinegar to a bubble over med-hi heat.  Reduce to med-low and reduce vinegar by half or a little more, until it is a thick, sweet syrup.
   Sprinkle sprouts with goat cheese and return to the oven for about 10 minutes.
   Drizzle with balsamic and serve.
   Serves 3-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!