Saturday, September 25, 2010

Caribbean Coconut Lime Curry

   I do a lot of my cooking on the fly.  I think about it beforehand, but really just kind of throw things into the pan.  I take flavors and techniques that I am familiar with to create new dishes.  Latin, Caribbean, and Asian flavors are what I know best.  Basically anything that has garlic, ginger and some heat.  The idea for this dish came to me as I was sadly staring at the pre-made frozen shrimp dishes loaded with sodium, unnecessary sugar, and packed with preservatives in the grocery store.  I know that the concoctions they try to pass off as "Caribbean" are syrupy and one dimensional.  With a can of coconut milk, a couple limes, and my well stocked spice cupboard, I knew I could make something WAY better than the overpriced packages in the freezer case. 

Caribbean Coconut Lime Curry
1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp (tails on or off)
1 C coconut milk, unsweetened (light or regular)
3/4 C chicken broth
1/4 C fresh lime juice (2-3 limes)
1 Tbsp honey
zest of 1 lime
1 tsp oil
1 medium onion, large chop
1 bell pepper, large chop (any color)
1 drained can diced tomato.  (See note.)
2 tsp garlic
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 bay leaf
Cilantro

Combine coconut milk, lime zest and juice, chicken broth, and honey.  Heat oil over medium heat.  Saute onion and pepper for 5 minutes, until just getting soft.  Add tomato and garlic, saute for 2-3 minutes. (NOTE:  If you want it spicier, use half a can of diced tomatoes and half a can of Hot Rotel.)  Add liquid mixture and the rest of the spices (except cilantro).  Bring to simmer and reduce by about one half (~15 minutes).  Add shrimp and cook through.  Serve over rice with chopped fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!