Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Loot and Joy

   I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  Even though the hubs wasn't here it was a very awesome Christmas.  He got me a Wii and the in-laws got me Cooking Mama: Cook Off which is why there haven't been pasts the last couple of days.  As far as presents, this year was probably the best ever!  I've mentioned the Wii already and I also got brand new Giada DeLaurentis cookware, a wine aerator, and Rocco Disperito's Italian American cookbook.  The cook book is fantastic and loaded with delicious recipes, but it was a sort of a joke present from my mom.  About 90% of the food she makes is Italian; she doesn't like me to make fun of her for it.

   Believe it or not, but I have never owned a cohesive set of pots and pans.  My kitchen stock is made mostly of things my mom didn't want anymore.  Also, many of the items were practically ruined by a former roommate and her squatter boyfriend.  I don't care what they say, you DO NOT put non stick pans or knives in the dishwasher!  But everything has changed now, the set is gorgeous!  Everything is shiny stainless steel with simple, clean lines.  The nonstick is silky smooth and perfect free of the garish gouges in my current ones.  The bottoms are nice and heavy to ensure even heating and heat-retention.  And everything that needs to have a lib has one; no more covering my little sauce pan with aluminum foil to cook rice!  It is everything I need when combined with the only pieces of equipments I want to keep from my current supply.  (Full review once I actually get to use them!)  I am now SO happy I didn't get any of the cookware from my wedding registry because this stuff is so much better (and wasn't available a year ago.) 
Pieces received:  8 qt mutlicooker (steam tray and stock pot), 10 in nonstick saute pan, 4.5 qt nonstick chef's pan, 10 piece Tri-clad Professional Series set (8 in saute pan, 9.5 in saute pan, 5 qt dutch oven, 3 qt, 2 qt, and 1 qt sauce pans) 
Available from Target

  My mother-, father-, and sister-in-law braved the unusual Tennessee Christmas snow to come spend the evening with us.  We had a lovely meal.  Starting off with a mishmash of super yummy appetizers:  blackberry baked brie that my sister-in-law Sarah made, sauerkraut balls, and smoked salmon with cream cheese, capers, and red onion.  For dinner, we roasted about 5 lbs of perfectly gorgeous beef tenderloin.
Simple sides complimented the medium-rare (some medium slices) beef.  My mother-in-law made a salad with strawberries and mandarin oranges (and everyone knows that mandarin oranges are one of the best things you can put with lettuce).  We had ridiculously easy thyme roasted zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes.  And the main side dish of mushroom pasta was loaded with buttons, shitakes, and [dried] chanterelles. 
I am sorry that I didn't snap any pictures of dessert because it was really pretty.  Sarah made white chocolate bread pudding and we topped it with cherries jubilee.  Ultra decadent!  

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful xmas!

    Check out my giveaway if you get a chance!
    xx
    Jessie
    http://87life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, it only takes as long as it does to pour a glass of wine as it will to have it aerated. You can do this quickly at your table in a restaurant or at home before having that glass of wine in front of the fireplace. No longer do you have to wait for the decanter process.

    Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3550819

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!