Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Apple Walnut Crisp Crostata

It is apple pie season!  I don't make a lot of apple desserts because the hubs generally hates cooked apples.  I couldn't help myself though.  I had a pie crust and apples.  It was calling to me.  I gave half to my neighbors because I didn't want to eat the whole thing myself.  Little did I know, Louis would choose now to try cooked apples again and maybe start to like them.  I was a little too excited when he actually enjoyed the dessert! 

Use whatever apples you like, but they should have firm flesh.  I love the combination of gala and granny smith.  The tart and sweet is lovely and they are always affordable options.

Apple Walnut Crisp Crostata
1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
filling:
2 granny smiths apples
2 gala apples
scant 1/3 C sugar
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
topping:
3 Tbsp softened butter
1/4 C quick oats
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp cinnamon

   Very thinly slice apples.  Combine filling ingredients.  Allow to sit and marinate for 10-15 minutes
   Combine topping ingredients.
   Unroll pie crust onto a baking sheet.  Pile filling in the center of crust leaving a 1 inch border.  (It will look like a lot!)  Distribute topping over apples.  Fold up edges of crust and pinch together so it holds together making a free-form pie.  Cover with foil.
   Bake at 375 deg F 30 minutes.
   Remove foil and bake another 20-25 minutes.
   Serves 8.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!