Thursday, October 6, 2011

Smoked Salmon on Bagels

I crave smoked salmon.  Maybe that is weird, but I do.  As a teenager, for quick throw together dinners my parents would just lay out smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, onion, and some French bread slices.  Cold smoked salmon is delicious, but I can't have a huge bite of it.  The raw-ish texture is something I have yet to conquer.  When I was introduced to hot smoked salmon (cooked texture) it changed my life!  And now that we have a smoker... yeah, constant cravings.  And with this roasted garlic sun dried tomato cream cheese.... oh, my knees are getting weak.
If you have a smoker or a basic charcoal grill (which can be used as a smoker) please smoke your own fish, it is fabulous.  And cheaper.  Store bought smoked salmon will work just as well though.  Also, use a good bagel.  This is not time for Kroger plain bagels.  Go to a bakery and get a nice everything or olive oil bagel.  Or if you are having a party, making minis using small bagels or just lightly toasted bread rounds (about 2 bite size.)

Smoked Salmon on Bagels
1/2 lb smoked salmon, flaked
2 bagels, halved and lightly toasted
1/4 of a med red onion, thinly sliced
2 oz light cream cheese, room temp
1 Tbsp chopped capers
1 Tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes
2 tsp roasted garlic

   Combine cream cheese, capers, tomatoes, and garlic.
   Spread evenly over bagels.  Top with red onion and smoked salmon.
   Serves 2.  (Or 16 hors d'oeuvers, 8 servings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!