Friday, September 23, 2011

Ferrari-Carano Cabernet Sauvignon (2008)

My friend got me a bottle of Ferrari-Carano Cabernet Sauvignon as a house warming gift.  I had never heard of the winery before.  No surprise considering the liquor stores I've lived near lately are stocked to the brim with Alice White and Arbor Mist.  My normal go-tos are Yellowtail and Barefoot, so when I took the first sip of this, I was taken aback. 

It is a beautiful, rich, complex red perfect for the cooling nights we've been experiencing lately.  It starts with a fruity, peppery sharpness that is welcoming, not overwhelming.  And it has an incredibly smooth, buttery, earthy finish.

"With aromas of dark cherry, vanilla, mocha, and earthy elements of mineral,
this wine delights with delicious flavors of vibrant, red berry pie, caramel
and fresh boysenberry. Lingering sweet oak adds excellent depth."
~Vineyard's description

Unless you have a lot of money to spend on wine, this is unfortunately not practical as an every day wine.  The good news is that it is not going to set you back too much or break the bank if you decide to purchase a bottle as a gift or for a special occasion.  For the "Classic Wines" produced by Ferrari-Carano you can expect to pay between $15-$30.  The reds are characteristically more expensive than the whites.  Ferrari-Carano is a California based winery, so that keeps the price down a bit.  A French wine of this caliber would probably be about $45-$50.
(By the way, don't you love my wine glasses?  They are hand blown/formed blue and clear glass.)

Browse the website for more info an varieties and amazing gift baskets.  They also produce their own estate olive oil!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!