Friday, September 30, 2011

Lemon and Sundried Tomato Chicken w/ Goat Cheese

Last weekend one of my long time friends got married!  I've known her since she was in 6th or 7th grade (same as my younger brother).  It was surreal watching her walk down the aisle to marry the man of her dreams and celebrate their little family coming together (they have the most beautiful 10 month old daughter!) 

Last February when I was babysitting for them, I happened to come across their menu. I couldn't stop myself from reading through it.  Immediately I knew it was from a pick and choose menu, but the selection sounded really good so I didn't jump to any conclusions.  And I am glad I didn't judge, because the food was seriously delicious!  They used A Dream Come True.  The menu selection is a little overwhelming, but they have some unique offerings in addition to the classic prime rib stand-bys (in every price range!).  If all of their food is as great as last Saturday, I would not hesitate suggesting you use them.

In addition to the fabulous dessert display (which my dad could have devoured by himself), the stand out dish was the "Lemon Dream Chicken".  Perfectly portioned airline breasts in a creamy lemon sauce with sundried tomatoes and goat cheese.  The only thing I wasn't crazy about was that the skin was left on and it hadn't been crisped, so it was rubbery and soggy.  I seemed to be the only person bothered by it though.  I had to recreate this dish, and my result was just as delicious (and probably less fattening.)  I'm telling you this sauce is amazing over the chicken, over vegetables, on a spoon....
w/ Basil Quinoa and Squash Baked in Tomato Sauce

Lemon and Sundried Tomato Chicken w/ Goat Cheese
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1 C low sodium chicken broth
1/2 C low fat milk
1/4 C chopped sundried tomatoes in oil (+ 1 tsp of the oil)
2 Tbsp low fat cream cheese
1 tsp lemon zest + juice of one lemon
3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper

   Roast chicken that has been liberally salt and peppered at 375 deg F for 20 minutes.
   Melt butter with tomato oil in a sauce pan over med heat.  Whisk in flour so it is smooth. 
   Combine broth, milk, and lemon juice (it is best if it is room temp.)  Whisk liquid slowly into pot so there are no lumps and lemon juice does not curdle the milk.  Whisk in cream cheese.  Add sun dried tomatoes and lemon zest.  (It shouldn't need any salt, but adjust seasoning to taste.)
   Pull chicken out of oven and remove skin.  Spread a little bit of the sauce on chicken.  Return to 375 deg F oven for 15-20 minutes until chicken in cooked through.
   Serve chicken on the bone or slice off the bone.  Spoon more sauce over and top with goat cheese.
   Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!