Friday, April 22, 2011

Chili Lime Seasoning

   "Whole Foods" in the title of the post "Whole Foods' Tequila Lime Seasoning" is probably what gets me hits, and why that particular post is the most popular post that doesn't concern David Rocco.  The blend is fantastic and cheap.  However, there isn't a Whole Foods conveniently located near me in North Carolina.  I assume not all of you have easy access to this healthy mega chain.  I've been meaning to make my own version for a while now.  I was already planning on turkey burgers for dinner last night, and a comment on the spice mix's post cemented the idea of making the blend.  Also, I mentioned in the original post that we made turkey burgers with it, but I didn't supply a complete recipe.  So, first of all, here is this recipe for the spice mix.  Tomorrow:  recipe for an awesome burger!
Chili Lime Seasoning
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne (more or less, depending on the amount of heat you like)
1/8 tsp sugar
zest of 1 lime

   Combine all ingredients.
   Serves 4
   This is enough for 1-1.5 lb meat, basically a 1 time use amount.  Feel free to make a larger batch and keep it in the fridge, but don't make too much.  Because of the zest, it will not keep for more than about 10 days in the fridge.


Note In Response to Comment (9/28/11):  The Whole Foods mix uses dried cilantro.  I am not a fan of dried cilantro because it tastes like nothing, so I don't own any.  If it makes sense in the dish, I will use fresh cilantro with this blend.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds good - how was it?
    Also I noticed that you mentioned cilantro in the article about the whole foods blend - but not in this recipe. A personal preference or other reason for omitting?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cilantro is the Spanish word for Coriander! Usually if you see cilantro in a recipe it means fresh, if you see coriander it means dried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see Coriander in a recipe, I think powdered coriander seeds, especially in a spice preparation with chili powder, which already contains both Cumin and Coriander seeds. When actually preparing foods with the spice, cilantro leaves are primary to the flavor, too. Coriander seed is an amazing spice, but it loses it's essential oils very quickly when ground and it should always be used fresh ground and encorporated into the mixture so they are infused into the mix.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!