Monday, April 11, 2011

Classic Meatballs... for a bunch of hungry people

   Sometimes meatballs aren't that exciting.  But a good meatball can't be beat.  Tender, meaty, lusciousness that is all heart and comfort.  I think everyone needs to have a great, basic, classic meatball recipe.  With it, you can branch out and experiment.  Or keep it close to tradition and satisfy a crowd.  This was the first time I ever used a beef and pork combo.  Why had I not done this before?!  It is perfect.  I always thought TV personalities were bullshitting about the awesomeness of this combination.  That was stupid on my part.  So many people wouldn't rave about it if it was bad.  I guess I just wasn't prepared for how good it actually was.  I never order meatballs out, so my standards for comparison were meatballs I made and the ones my mom made.  Not a wide variety there.  I am writing the recipe slightly different that what I actually did.  I am saying 1.5 lb ground sirloin.  However, I only used 1 lb and I had about 1/2 lb of ground 90/10 turkey in the freezer so I threw that in; but you could also use ground veal.  (I don't eat baby animals sooo.... not an option for me.)
Meatballs
1.5 lb lean ground beef (sirloin, 93/7)
1 lb ground pork (80/20)
2 eggs
1/2 C seasoned bread cumbs
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
extra virgin olive oil

   Combine all ingredients except meats and oil.  Using hands, work in meats; be sure to not overwork meat.  (Let meat come up to room temp so it is easier to work with.)  Form into balls a little larger than golf balls.
   Spread a little evoo over the bottom of a baking pan.  Place meatballs in, leave a little bit of space between each one.  Mixture will make about 24 meatballs and they will all comfortably fit in a 13x9 pan.
   Bake at 375 deg F for about 25 minutes.
   Serves 12 (at most).

1 comment:

  1. I love me a good meatball...it's times like this that I regret giving up meat!

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!