Saturday, March 12, 2011

Corn and Carrot "Slaw" Salad with Creamy Cumin Lime Dressing

   Spring is approaching and the weather is getting a little warmer.  I promised more salads and I hope I am satisfying the request.  I feel like a salad is what you make it but we can definitely get in a rut with dressings and and the things we put on top of our lettuce.  This was a thrown together salad I made last week but it ended up really good.  I had the idea for the dressing, but since the salad was our only side I felt something other than just lettuce was needed.
Corn and Carrot "Slaw" Salad
1 C shaved carrots (just use a veg peeler to get thin strips)
1/2 corn kernels
1/4 C sliced olives
1 large heart of romaine, chopped
Creamy Cumin Lime Dressing:
1/8 tsp cumin seeds
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (heaping) light sour creamjuice of 1 lime*
zest of 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp pasted or grated garlic
dash crushed red pepper flake
salt and pepper

   In a dry pan over medium heat toast cumin seeds for 2-3 minutes.  When you start to smell them they are done; cool.  Lightly crush seeds.  (I used the curved back of a heavy ice cream scoop because I didn't want to get out the mortar and pestle for such a small amount.... worked really well). 
   Combine all dressing ingredients.  Salt and pepper to taste. 
   *If the lime does not give off a lot of juice, use red wine vinegar or other mild vinegar.  You want 2 tsp-1 Tbsp total of acid.
   Combine corn, carrots, and olives.  Add about 2 tsp of dressing; mix.  Let sit 30 minutes.
   Toss lettuce in half of remaining dressing.  Top with "slaw".  Serve the rest of the dressing on the side.
   Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm it seems good...
    i want to try it!
    I follow U,
    if U want, come to see my blog
    kisses V
    http://lostileungioco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feedback makes me happy!