Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jasmine

   It is amazing how many great restaurants are found in strip malls.  There is a bit of a culinary taboo to strip mall dining.  But thanks to people like Guy Fieri and Anthony Bourdain, that taboo is slowly dissolving and "foodie elitists" are accepting the fact that good food is good food no matter where you find it.  I have always been a fan of strip mall joints simply for the fact that where I live that is mostly what you get.  The Brentwood/Cool Springs area is literally made up of hundreds of strips.

   Jasmine is a little Thai place situated between a Factory Card Outlet and an Ortho Mattress store.  No joke.  The food is incredible and very reasonably priced.  Part of the menu is a list of sauces that can be paired with chicken, beef, pork, seafood, or vegetables.  The garlic sauce and ginger sauce are my favorites.  And like any Thai restaurant there is a noodle section.  To be honest, I am not a huge fan of their noodle dishes.  The flavor is good but they tend to be a little dry for my taste.  Luckily, the pad thai seems to be the exception.  It is delicious.
 Tom Ka (coconut-y, mushroom-y goodness)

  The last time we ate at Jasmine.  I had the crispy duck with tamarind sauce.  (I know, I am sorry... I am on a duck kick right now.  It will probably be over soon.)  I was hesitant about the tamarind sauce being too sweet, but it is wonderfully balanced: salty, sweet, sour, garlicy.  It could have been spicier, but most of Jasmine's menu is light on spice.  They have adjust for more Western palates.  So this is a great place to try Thai if you have avoided it because you think it will be too hot.  For those of us that like a good bit of heat... all you have to do is ask!  Which is what I do when I get the chili lime beef salad.  My mom likes it just the way it comes though, and I think she has ordered it the last 5 times.
Chili Lime Beef Salad
 Duck w/ tamarind sauce
   My dad had the crispy duck with garlic sauce.  The heaping piles of garlic, I think, are a thing of beauty.
  Duck w/ garlic sauce
    Duck is a new thing for me.  So I wasn't exactly prepared for the layer of fat between the tender, juicy breast meat and the perfectly crispy skin.  I sort of dissected mine while eating to avoid the fat layer.  My dad on the other hand devoured his.



8105 Moores Ln
Brentwood, TN 37027
(615) 661-0169

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!