Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mulled Cider

   Easy easy easy.  Sweet and spicy, it is delicious and makes your house smell fantastic!  You could make this in a crock pot and keep it warm all afternoon and evening.  Also, then it isn't occupying one of your precious burners that are needed for all sorts of other things.  I made this with Scott's Orchard apple cider.  They normally have a stall set up at the farmers' market I go to.  It is hand pressed in small batches from the apples that are grown at the orchard.  It is the best cider I have ever had!  It is like biting into the freshest, cleanest apple you can possibly imagine.
TIP:  When baking, if the recipe calls for water, use juice instead.  It automatically adds extra flavor without any extra work!  I recently used left over mulled cider in my pumpkin bread.  It was so delicious!  Considering that I use apple sauce in my quick breads, adding the cider simply boosts the mild apple flavor (without overpowering the other flavors.)
Mulled Cider
1/2 gallon apple cider
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1/4 tsp whole allspice

Add ingredients to a pot.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to med-low, simmer for 30 minutes.  (I don't use crock pots very much, so I guess just heat on low for at least 1 hour.)
6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!