Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Smoked Salmon Pizza

   A lot of my recipes come from having to use up what is in the fridge.  Especially now, my dad likes to buy things just because they are on sale.  He also sort of freaks out about the "use by" dates.  So that is how I found myself with a package of (cold) smoked salmon that needed to be eaten.  I am not a huge fan of the cold smoked variety (the kind with the raw texture) just on its own.  In things like a spread or on a really good bagel, sure.  But just eating... not for me.  I had wanted pizza that night and decided to put it on a pizza.  I had half a jar of pesto left from the goat cheese pesto pizza.  And that it how this pizza came into being.... believe it or not, just trying to use up things in the refrigerator.
Smoked Salmon Pizza
pizza dough, 1 half of the recipe (or store bought)
1/2 C pesto
3 oz smoked salmon
2 oz goat cheese
2 oz cream cheese

   Spread the pizza dough out on a pizza pan or baking sheet until it is about 1/2 inch thick.  (Or however thick you like.) 
   Bake on bottom rack at 450 deg F for about 5 minutes, until the bottom starts to turn golden.
   Evenly spread pesto over crust.
   Place cheeses in freezer for about 10 minutes.  Use fingers to place small dollops of cheese over the pizza.  Or you can leave the cheeses in the freezer longer and cut them with a knife.  (NOTE:  The cheeses do not melt and spread out like mozzarella, try to get the dollops very small.)
   Cut salmon into very thin strips.  Distribute over pizza.
   Bake for 5-7 more minutes on middle rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!