Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

   It's that time of year.  Pumpkin time.  I adore pumpkin and would eat it year round if if store carried it all the time and not just as a seasonal item.  Last year, I got my fix with some pumpkin bread and a few pumpkin pies, but I wasn't completely satisfied.... Does anyone even remember the pumpkin shortage last fall???  (No, you probably just remember the gas shortage.)  This year though, I am stocking up!  I am buying about 2 cans of pumpkin a week.  It's crazy, I know, but I do what I have to do.  Expect quite a few pumpkin recipes coming up.  After today, the next couple recipes will be using left over pumpkin muffins in some truly awesome ways.  (That is assuming you have left over pumpkin muffins.)

TIP:   Maybe some of you noticed that a lot of my baking contains applesauce.  This is because, in my head, I can not justify using 1/2 C or however much oil in my baked goods.  A little bit of oil is great, it holds the moisture for longer and keeps them fresh.... but all oil?  Can't do it.  Whenever a recipe calls for a lot of oil, I substitute with the same amount of unsweetened applesauce plus a little bit of vegetable oil (usually 1 Tbsp.)  However, if you are mailing baked items to someone or are making a gift basket.... use all oil, it will keep things fresher for much longer!

Pumpkin Muffins
1 3/4 C flour
1/3 C lightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp clove
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
3/4 C milk
1/2 C pumpkin puree
1/3 C unsweetened apple sauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 C chopped walnuts (optional)

   Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and spices.  Make sure baking powder is evenly distributed and there are no lumps.
   Combine the wet ingredients thoroughly.  Add dry ingredients to wet.  Add walnuts.  Do not over mix.  Pour into greased muffin tins.
   Bake 350 deg F for 20-25 min.
   Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!