Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pumpkin Fudge (for the Hogwarts Student inside everyone)

   Pumpkin is all over the freaking place in Harry Potter.  Pumpkin pasties, pumpkin juice... The concept of Halloween linking pumpkins to.... [magic?] I'm guessing is what spurred J.K. Rowling's prolific use of sweet pumpkin treats in her phenomenon that is Harry Potter.  What ever her reason, I don't care.  I love the books (and the movies) and I love pumpkin.  I have only met a few people who don't enjoy Harry Potter and I have found I generally don't like them as human beings.  So this recipe is for the Witch (and)or Wizard inside all of us!
  I kinda just wanted to share how geekily awesome this pic is.
   I admit the reasoning for making pumpkin fudge was not originally for HP but for my friend Rachel who bought some at a local arts festival last year.  I have since made several attempts at pumpkin fudge and failed miserably on all previous occasions.  But I cracked the beast a few weeks ago, and now, in honor of part 1 of The Deathly Hallows, it seems appropriate to share.  I will still try other variations of pumpkin fudge in the future to get it absolutely perfect, but this is recipe is pretty damn good.  Rich, creamy, dense, sweet, and pumpkin-y!

Pumpkin Fudge
2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
3/4 C butter
2/3 C evaporated milk
2/3 C pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 Tbsp molasses (may be substituted for more corn syrup)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp clove
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 pkg (12 oz) white chocolate chips
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 C chopped walnuts (optional)

   Over medium heat, melt butter.  Add sugars, milk, pumpkin, syrups, and spices.  Turn heat up to med-high.  Heat until mixture reads 234 deg F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage.)  Stir constantly, this will take 15-20 minutes.  (I know, tedious, but necessary.)
   Once temperature is reached, remove from heat and immediately add vanilla, white chocolate, and marshmallow creme.  Stir until fully incorporated.  Fold in nuts.
   Pour into a foil lined 9x9x2 baking dish.  Allow to set up at room temp for at least 2 hours.  Cut into small pieces.
   36 bite-sized squares of fudge, you be the judge on how many that actually serves.
This is 1/3 of what I made... all that was left when I got around to taking a picture.

Vader/Potter image courtesy Tailgate 365

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback makes me happy!